Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Prince of Peace & a Royal Wedding


He speaks to me in pictures.
I'm a photographer...and he speaks to me in pictures.

My girlfriend called last week and asked what I was doing for the royal wedding. "Nothing." I replied, "You want to come over?"
We thought an English tea would be just perfect. So, I cut flowers from my moms garden, made scones (for the first time), layered the table with red and blue linens, and set out the pretty dishes.






My girlfriends came over bright and early, brought beautiful fruit and lots of kids. The Tivo was ready...and once the kids were situated, our tea was poured and the remote was in hand...we let out a quick squeal...excited to see the procession and Ohhhh that dress!!
What happened next, I was not prepared for...
The spectacle!
Beautiful buildings & streets lined with eager on-lookers waving their flags...more than you could count...filling the sidewalks & streets. The flag & tree lined streets leading directly to the palace. The sound of the bells ringing.

The cars start to come, one by one. People have been waiting for hours just to catch a glimpse of the royalty inside.
And who's in this car? I see the uniform. Wow...It's Prince William, the groom!! The crowds are going crazy...welcoming their future King.

All I can think...
God, you allowed this. Why do you allow such a spectacle. Why is my heart pounding in my chest.
Is this a picture of you? Is this what it will be like...when you come again? I know its silly, but it's all I can liken it to. And my heart is still pounding. Oh how I long for it to be You! To see you making a triumphant entry...coming to receive your bride, the church. The honor, the glory, the crowds shouting your name. Jesus! The Son of God! The Prince of Peace!

And then, the moment we've been waiting for...there she is! The beautiful bride, coming to be presented to her husband, the prince. She becomes a princess today, and only through him.
God created this. There is a reason why 3 billion people wanted to watch a wedding...why our hearts pounded when we saw royalty.
A couple tears started rolling down my cheeks...my girlfriends and I could't stop interjecting with different parallels we saw.
Even now it sounds silly describing it...you just had to see it.

And then the ceremony...and my jaw drops. Romans 12!
God's true and living word proclaimed to 3 billion people of different race and culture. The true and living word of God that has been promised (Isaiah 55:11) to never return void. The name of Jesus Christ proclaimed and honored by earthly royalty, for all to hear. It was Amazing.

It started out a silly, girly, idea...let's have a tea party and watch a royal wedding...and we ended up so incredibly blessed. God met us there, he gently spoke to us in pictures and filled our hearts with longing. Longing for the real thing...the true King of Kings...the true wedding feast.

Isaiah 62:5
And as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, So shall your God rejoice over you.

Ezekiel 16:11
I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your wrists, and a chain on your neck. 12 And I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate pastry of fine flour, honey, and oil. You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty.

2 comments:

Erica and Jay said...

I love this post and the parallels. Thanks for opening my eyes. Love ya Shelly!

Shelly said...

love you too. Its so cool how God can speak to us in seemingly random events. I love Him for that. :)